Threaded Crank/spindle

kerbbumper
kerbbumper Posts: 62
edited June 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Loaned my Whyte 901 to my brother at the weekend, he told me the left Crank arm was a little loose so he took it off and tightened it back on.

Today I was cycling along and it fell off! :evil:

The bolt on the Crank arm looks threaded as does the spindle through the Bb.

I have attached some pictures, what's my options!? I was looking to sell the bike before this happened so don't want to spend a lot fixing this. Any help is really appreciated..

Spec: bottom bracket is a SRAM GXP 73mm and the crankset is a SRAM FC S1000, GXP, 38/24, 10 speed, double compact.

DSC_0501.jpg
urlDSC_0500.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is he a gorilla. New BB time.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kerbbumper
    Just a Bb.

The bolt through the Crank arm looks threaded, and I thought the spindle came from the drive side Crank?

I though I would need new Cranks but keep the BB

He's Not a Gorilla but I think he's been Lion, told me he didn't tighten it too much.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You can buy aftermarket bolts on evil bay I think there is enough thread in that axle for a new bolt to work with.

I do have a spare GXP crankset (cranks only) but not sure if it's a double or triple, not at home until Friday.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • kerbbumper
    I shall try a new bolt first see what happens.

If it doesn't work do you think a new crankset is required?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It's the only way to fix the axle!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.